Thursday, April 30, 2015

Escape to an Estuary.

On Tuesday, another rainy-misty day in Oregon, our planned adventure was to go to the South Slough National Estuarine Research Reserve, which is located about 5 miles south of where we are in Charleston.

It was a pretty drive getting there and it was a cool place to go on a little hike and explore, and the weather made it so some creatures were outside that normally wouldn't be if it was dry. Like newts and snakes.

I didn't take that many pictures because.... I didn't think it was too exciting but, here are a few.


 Part of the reason we came to the estuary was to see, not only the creatures that live there and the habitat, but also to see the restoration that is taking place within estuaries. If you notice in this picture above, they've dymamited the dyke in an effort to allow these closer mudflats to enjoy the flow of the ocean tides.

On the bridge with Jessica.

Mud flats. Taken from an exciting bridge.

So. That about covers it. It was quite an exciting day.

I think I've come to the conclusion that I've been on too many "study abroads" because I get kind of bored when we go out on adventures. Whoops. I think that's because I've done it SO many times, and although it's different every time, it's kind of the same. So, that's a think.

Luckily, today (Thursday 4/30) is the last field trip day and today we're going on a boat. So, that should be good. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment